Sporting WCA

Late Surge Not Enough as Cats Fall to Kirkwood

A high school hockey game lasts 45 minutes. Split into 3 periods, a win requires a team to play this full length. The Wildcats did not accomplish this on Monday night and paid the price.

The Varsity Hockey team fell to the Kirkwood Pioneers 3-2 in a closely contested game. The Cats started the game in slow motion, unable to make smart plays and exit their defensive zone. The Pioneers kept the Cats hemmed in for the opening minutes of the game, and they eventually struck. Less than 5 minutes into the period, numerous defensive miscues led to Kirkwood taking a 1-0 lead. A few strong rushes almost had the Cats tie the game back up, but a penalty broke WCA’s momentum and gave possession back to the opposition. They made quick work of their ensuing power play, making the score 2-0 late in the first period.

The Cats eventually woke up in the second. The speed of their attack increased tremendously and they calmed their defensive nerves. The Kirkwood attack was halted, and the Cats began to control the game. Strong defensive plays gave the Cats many counter-attacking opportunities, and they capitalized halfway through the 2nd. An unassisted goal from junior Zach Nall cut the Pioneer’s lead to one, and the Cats continued to press.

The tying goal came early in the 3rd period. A holding penalty on Kirkwood gave the Cats an important power play, and they immediately began to test the Pioneer goaltender. A low shot from sophomore Levi Wright rebounded heavily of the goaltender, and senior Gannon Mcward buried it to tie the game at 2-2. Unfortunately, more defensive mistakes made this lead short lived. The next shift, the Pioneers capitalized on a slip from a Wildcat defenseman and took a 3-2 lead halfway through. The Cats desperately looked for a tying goal, almost finding it in the final minute of the game. With the goaltender pulled and an extra attacker on the Ice, freshman Jack Canfield came under a pass and fired point blank on the Pioneer goal. An incredible  save kept the puck out, and Kirkwood cleared to end the game at 3-2.

The Wildcat’s next game is Friday, November 27th at Chesterfield. Be at Hardee’s Ice Plex at 9:00 to see the Cats take on rivals LIndbergh in an important Challenge Cup bout.